At Peninsula Mobile Veterinary Clinic, we strive to offer excellent veterinary care to our patients, and excellent working conditions to our employees.
If you have experience working in the veterinary field, great animal handling skills, appreciate a close relationship with clients, enjoy being on the road and are looking for something a little different, with the opportunity to use a wide variety of your training and skills, we could be looking for you!
If you meet the job requirements below and would like to be considered for a position with us, please send a cover letter and current resume to:
Peninsula Mobile Veterinary Clinic
19689 7th Ave NE #327
Poulsbo, WA. 98370
No phone calls, please.
Job Description: Veterinary Assistant
Minimum Job Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Basic math competency (arithmetic, fractions, unit conversions)
- Computer literacy (Microsoft programs, internet use)
- Experience working with the public in a customer service setting
- Experience handling animals in a medical setting
- 2 years’ experience working in a veterinary hospital/clinic or similar animal care facility OR have completed equivalent coursework in an accredited program
- Ability to maintain a professional and courteous manner, remaining respectful and polite in speech, tone, and actions under all circumstances
- Willingness to remain flexible and implement new or changing procedures as well as adapting to changing schedules, routes and working conditions throughout each day
- Ability to sit, stand, kneel, bend down and raise arms above the head.
- Ability to stand for up to one hour
- Ability to lift objects of up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to be outside in inclement weather for up to one hour
- Ability to use cell phone and laptop computer while riding in a moving vehicle
- Ability to sit in a moving vehicle for up to 2 hours
- Answer telephone in the office and on the road; field client questions, determine urgency of calls, set/change appointments, document conversations directly into computer
- Become competent with Avimark practice management program and use computer to create, update and maintain patient records, set appointments and maintain calendar, prepare invoices, record payments, update inventory
- Process credit card payments using wireless technology
- Understand frequently used medical terminology
- Basic office duties: alphabetical filing, create and maintain hard copy files, call clients and vendors, restock supplies
- Prepare treatment and surgery areas as needed for each appointment
- Clean treatment and surgery areas, including disinfection of surfaces, cages and floor, remove trash and recycling, restock supplies in clinic vehicle
- Clean surgical instruments, prepare and run autoclave, following most current standards
- Restrain and manage patients for exams, specimen collection, medicine/anesthetic administration, radiographs, etc.
- Assist during surgery as needed
- Monitor patients during anesthesia (including set up and reading of Pulse Ox, BP)
- Administer treatments (medicine, food, water, SQ fluids, etc)
- Assist with euthanasia in the clinic vehicle and in clients’ homes
- Prepare labwork (use centrifuge for blood and urine samples, prepare slides) and complete appropriate paperwork
- Fill prescriptions from clinic pharmacy, counting and measuring medications, creating labels and packaging for clients
- Process digital and film radiographs
- Drive mobile clinic if needed (no special license certification needed)
- Travel to unsupervised “tech” calls to pick up or drop off samples, cremains, medications, administer medications, pick up mail, etc. using personal vehicle.
- Other duties as assigned
This job involves certain risks to the employee, including the risk of being scratched or bitten by animals; the risk of infection by contagious agents, including rabies; the risk of exposure to bodily fluids, including urine, diarrhea, vomit; and the risk of exposure to hazardous chemicals. Employees must have a current tetanus shot and are encouraged to consider rabies vaccination.
Benefits and Additional Information
- Pay checks are distributed on the 1st and 16th of each month.
- Unsupervised Tech calls—the regular hourly rate will be paid (1 hour minimum)
- The clinic will be closed Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. These are not paid holidays.
- Employees will receive performance evaluations at or before 30 days, at or before 90 days, and annually thereafter.
- Each employee will accrue 2 hours of paid personal time off for each month worked, after their initial 90 days of employment.
- Medical care for employee-owned animals—20% discount on services; inventory will be charged at 10% above cost. (Federal law requires income tax to be paid on any discounts over these amounts.) This benefit begins after initial 90 days of employment.
- Each employee is entitled to a $150 uniform allowance per calendar year, after initial 90 days of employment. Receipts must be turned in to receive reimbursement.
- We encourage employees to continue to explore and pursue additional training in the field. Financial support for such training will be made available on a case by case basis after initial 90 days of employment.